Sunday, March 22, 2015

What Type of Searcher Am I?

I am a not so proud member of the Google generation. I cannot function properly without the use of Google and the internet. It has become so bad that at any time watching television my husband and myself will Google something about the television show or the actors involved. When I need to spell a word, I Google. When I want a cool activity to use in class, I Google. I am only twenty-four, but I do remember a time in grade school where dictionaries and encyclopedias existed and were used often. Now, you have to reach students how to use a dictionary because they have no idea.
 My search habits are very similar to that of my students and other teens. Google and YouTube are used daily in my life. It may have something to do with my age. I have no idea, but  I am starting to think I need help because there has to be some kind of addiction.

1 comment:

  1. I am teaching students with dictionaries and other reference materials now. I wonder how long it will go on. In some ways, I think that once tests no longer use questions about guide words and other print reference conventions, it may be over. Still, I think students can grasp the different references better when they see different print volumes. It is hard to tell the difference when they are all presented through a screen.

    ReplyDelete